Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Mother Letter--5 Charities in 5 Days!

CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT THE GENESIS OF THE MOTHER LETTER PROJECT.

By now you know the story. Instead of purchasing Christmas this year, our family is "creating" Christmas and donating the "difference" to a small African village. To that end, I am collecting a series of open letters-the Mother Letters-for my wife's Christmas present. How do I leave a letter, you inquire? Email HERE, or comment HERE. Please refer to the FAQs in the side bar for answers to more of your questions. They explain the project in greater detail.

ON THE SECOND DAY OF CHRISTMAS... COMPASSION INTERNATIONAL!


In the spirit of the Mother Letter Project, I am respectfully asking you to pick a charity to donate a little "difference" to this Christmas. Need a charitable cause? You are in luck. This week, I will be featuring 5 charities in 5 days; pick one and make a difference. Note: to read about the previous charities, click here.

Today's charity is Compassion International. In their words: "Compassion International exists as a Christian child advocacy ministry that releases children from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enables them to become responsible, fulfilled Christian adults. ... Today, Compassion helps more than 1 million children in 25 countries."

So many good people have blogged about Compassion, but none better than Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer. Read her post about Compassion and read her Africa story. Then, sit down with your family and decide whether you will donate some "difference" this year by adopting a child. After all, it is Christmas!

Thank you so much for helping me build this collection. Have fun; be encouraged. And, as always, merry Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. I will pass it along most certainly! Keep 'em coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Okay I'm worried that over 300 men are going to wake up on Christmas morning being beat with hand held mixers and wooden spoons. My hubby gets me gift cards so he isn't in danger of anything more than a paper cut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it will help, I promise to buy my wife a handheld mixer or wooden spoon next year.

    Really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mother,

    You are my mother that I will never meet, never get to go shopping with, never 'do lunch' with, yet at times, I feel that I know you so well. I wish I could have met you, laughed with you...we could have made such wonderful plans together...the wedding, 3 childrens' births, baptisms, school concerts, holidays together....

    I have been told that we would have gotten along so well...that we would have understood each other. I would have enjoyed that very much!

    I have been doing my best raising your grandchildren. They are so funny, they make me laugh all of the time...that is, when I am not pulling my hair out:-) Max and Harry are so mild mannered and wonderful with their baby-sister, Rory. She, of course, thinks she is the princess, as every 20 month old should be!! I saw a picture of you this weekend at Lae-Lae's house. You had an expression on your face that I have seen on my daughter's face a few times lately. I had to double-take. I pointed out the curled up lip with that grin...now I know where it comes from!!

    Now, let me tell you about your wonderful son...the man I fell in love with... I know you only knew him for 12 years before you left this world, but the impression you left in his heart will last 100 life times. He misses you so much it breaks MY heart!! He is such a wonderful man. God could not have sent me a better man to love and to father our children! He is the man I dreamed of..if I would have known how high I could have dreamed. I know that sound silly, and makes no sense...but I didn't know men came of such high caliber. The way he interacts with our children is amazing. His goofiness, his making up words to songs that should surely-never-be-sung..yet we all roll on the floor laughing (She's got big poopers and I cannot lie....no other child can deny...)well, you know the tune! He's got more verses...the public just doesn't need to hear! Anyway, so many of our family,,the aunts, cousins, etc. have told me that Lance is just like you. Fun, funny, calm, good-natured, easy-going, and tremedously lovable! I guess what I want to tell you most is Thank you and I'm sorry. Thank you for creating such a wonderful man..the man of my dreams. And, I'm sorry.. I'm sorry that you will never get to know him as a man, a father, as a wonderful husband. I'm sorry I will never get to meet you, but I think of you often. I look at my husband, my children...and I know you are still here, and I feel that I know you, even though we have never met. Some day.....

    I Love You,
    Casey

    ReplyDelete